Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My tiny little tribute to Michael Jackson

I am not ready to let you go. If only I could be like Katie and call you back to us again so that we could feel (as she felt your strong arms holding her) your strength all around us -- the strength born of struggle and trials that just made your soul more beautiful, your heart more empathetic, and your art more awe-inspiring. Like Katie, I miss you so and wish with all my heart that you could come back to us -- not only for the creations you gave us but also for yourself, for being an example of making it through some of the worst pain people can inflict and coming out on the other side -- still with love in your heart. The love you had and gave in so many ways helps sustain me (and I'm sure many others) during my own dark days. Maybe we can't get that living, breathing, warm and beautiful person back as she could, but we still have all you gave us, and I know that if you could, you'd be comforting our hearts, still aching so much over losing you, by singing to us how we should 'just smile.' I love you, Michael: the man who made my jaw drop with dances that seemed to defy gravity; who sang with such pathos you made me cry; who wrote such beautiful music AND words, and tried to help so many of the helpless around you; who insisted on being himself and following his heart, no matter how many attacks he received for being 'different'; a man who, besides remarkable talent, I believe had a philosopher's curiosity and scholar's intellect: all of this you had but most importantly and uniquely, a beautiful child's heart and the strength to keep it pure and not allow cynicism or cruelty to defeat you. I hope wherever you are now you are as truly happy as you always deserved to be, and the only thing I can do in your honor is to try to follow your example in my own limited way. [9/10/09, 7:53 am]

0 comments:

Post a Comment